In the small section I've read so far of The Dead by James Joyce, I've come to realize that people can be physically dead, but also mentally dead as well. One of the main characters I've come to know so far is Gabriel, who is really dead mentally. The way Joyce describes his actions and his reactions shows how much life he actually lacks. He barely has any emotion and is very stoic. He seems like someone who would speak in monotone and it almost seems like he truly does not enjoy life.
As the bubbly, emotional, talkative mess that I am, it's really hard to understand Gabriel. However, I am capable of feeling sympathy for him. I feel bad for him that he does not feel the urge to travel and see the world when Mrs. Ivors asks him and his wife to the Aran Isles with her and some friends. But I feel worse for his wife, Gretta. I can't imagine what it is like to have someone that you love seem like they aren't there anymore. It reminds me of the song "My Immortal" by Evanescence. In the song, there is a line that says "I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone. But though you're still with me, I've been alone all along." I feel like that is how his wife feels on the inside. It makes me very sad for her. I almost feel like it is easier when someone dies physically than mentally because when someone dies mentally, the shell of who they were is still always around to make you remember how things were. And lastly, I wanted to comment on how this book seems to take place in such a cheery setting, a party with lots of beloved friends and family, but still takes on a rather dreary tone. It takes some seriously talented writing to do that.
Anyway, I'm sorry for such a depressing post! Hopefully there will be some positive vibes coming from Joyce's novel soon. I will end this by saying, however, that Gabriel does feel some joy, especially when seeing his wife's happiness. So that may be a factor that really brings him to life, as a person in his own world, and as a character that I can really understand.
I never even really considered how Gretta felt! I really like how you pulled her characterization in, because she is a great foil compared to Gabriel. It must feel horrible to be in a marriage where your spouse has already left it mentally, and all that you can remember are the good times once had. I also picked up on the irony of the party scene! It is interesting to note that at one of the most sociable and lively things people can do, Gabriel feels dead inside. It is an intense contrast.
ReplyDeleteI felt the opposite when I thought about Gabriel. I understood his reservations about exploring and what he felt he's done with his life (which is mostly nothing) and realized we all reach that moment. And I feel like we all reach that moment when we realize we could die tomorrow and there would be nothing we had to show for our lives. I connected with Gabriel because I am exactly like him and need to reach my own epiphany.
ReplyDeleteI agree with it taking some major skill to write such a complex novel that has a pretty dreary tone to it while having it take place in an upbeat setting and also while having most of the conversations coming off positive although they weren't always. I don't completely agree with Gabriel being mentally dead. I think partially he may be but I think that is because he is unaware of the fact that how he is is wrong and also he isn't completely happy in his situation since he echoes Joyce's ideals and isn't thrilled to have to pretend to be 100% all about Ireland.
ReplyDelete